I am not a good cook. My grandmother was but she didn’t teach Mom and Mom didn’t teach me. Add to that the fact that since I was 15 years old I have never lived in a household larger than three people so my cooking skills qualify as minimal. Therefore, the recipes I include below are simple but show no quantities because you may be cooking for more than one or two people.
From necessity, I taught myself to use a similar method for meals as the one I use for clothing—pick a few of your favorite items in a few categories then mix and match them to make a wide variety of food. I have five categories with six items in each.
- Meats: ground beef, chicken thighs, pork chops, canned tuna, eggs, and bacon.
- Vegetables: potatoes, tomatoes, green beans, carrots, broccoli, and onion.
- Fruits and Nuts: apples, raisins, peaches, almonds, pecans, and cashews.
- Condiments: mayonnaise, BBQ sauce, sour cream, mustard, olive oil, and lemon juice.
- Spices: onion powder, garlic powder, dill weed, oregano, cinnamon, and salt/pepper.
- Sautéed apple rings topped with cinnamon.
- Grilled pork chops.
- Chicken topped with peaches and cinnamon then baked. (Pecans optional)
- BBQ beef over baked potato.
- Tuna over baked potato.
- Tuna patty with raw veggies and dip.
- Dill dip with veggies and precooked chicken strips.
- Carrot slaw.
- Apple salad.
- Bacon wrapped chicken.
- Bacon and eggs.
- Egg salad.
- Deviled Eggs.
- Greek roasted chicken and vegetables.
- Hash browns topped with fried egg.
- Green beans with bacon and onion.
- Broccoli salad.
A few recipes:
Tuna patty is made by lightly beating an egg with onion powder and dill weed in a two cup microwave safe bowl then adding tuna. Microwave on high for 3 minutes. Sides will be pulling away from bowl but center will still be soft. Let set until center firms up.
Dill dip is made by stirring together equal amounts of sour cream and mayonnaise then adding onion powder and dill weed.
Carrot slaw is made by stirring together grated carrots with raisins and mayonnaise.
Apple salad is made by mixing mayonnaise with a little bit of lemon juice then using that to coat chopped apple, raisins, and your choice of nuts.
Greek roasted chicken and veg is made by mixing equal portions of olive oil and lemon juice then adding oregano. Use that to coat chicken and vegetables cut into bite-sized pieces then roast it all on a sheet pan in the oven.
Stuffed tomato is made by mixing together tuna with mayonnaise and seasonings of choice. Slice a large tomato most of the way from the top down and spread slices to make a flower. Mound tuna mixture in the middle of the tomato.
I’m sure you can take it from here.